Sunday, November 2, 2008

I Meant to Post This Earlier

College students are some of the best procrastinators you could ever find. I should know... I'm one of them. Today, I'm blogging about some of the best ways to procrastinate. Along with these five items, I've given a possible solution to help you avoid temptation when the time comes.


1. FACEBOOK, MySpace, Mybook, facespace, etc.
Whatever social-networking website you use, procrastination almost always starts there. Whether chatting with your friends or giving your profile a complete overhaul, its easy to put off a paper a few more hours by logging in and looking around.

Solution: Putting up a note or status to let your friends know you won't be online for a while could give you peace of mind. Promise yourself to stay away from pictures, videos, and other forms of Facebook stalking, and reward yourself when you finish your task.

2. Online Television
Watching television is an escape for most college students. I know I would rather deal with the drama on Grey's Anatomy than finish my work. I also enjoy a good BBC miniseries to waste time. When I have a bad day, I camp out in my room and watch Colin Firth in Pride and Prejudice.

Solution: In case you haven't gotten the memo: the beauty of online television is that you can watch your favorite show whenever you want! It isn't necessary to plan work around TV anymore! Pick a day when you have nothing due and turn into a vegetable!

3. Shopping
Have you ever realized how many shopping centers or malls there are in Tuscaloosa? I once spent an entire day going from place to place looking for a Christmas present for my dad. There's a lot to look at, for sure.

Solution: Make a list throughout the week of necessary items, and pick a day. Leave the leisurely shopping for a truly lazy day that you can afford to waste.

4. Walk around campus
This is one of my favorites. I think it is therapeutic to walk around while laughing about crazy squirrels and contemplating life.

Solution: Just because you need to write a paper doesn't mean you have to write it your room! Find a creative new place to study. My favorite pre-test cram spot of 2007 was the Starbucks in Barnes and Noble. Why? It’s quiet, comfortable, and comes with caffeine. Also, study on the quad if it isn't too cold!

5. Get Crafty
My roommate has already learned of my craftiness. I've Bama-fied our door, created adorable elephants with pom-poms and pipe cleaners, made sashes to keep our curtains pulled back, and made a Lego costume for Halloween. Something about Hobby Lobby makes me feel complete. I love to find new things to keep me occupied, and crafts definitely do that. Plus, you can get some really cute things out of it!

Solution: Since this is my biggest weakness, I have to force myself to avoid Hobby Lobby. I visit Hobby Lobby during extremely bad weeks. It’s much easier for me to make it through a week of tests when I know I can go detoxify with craftiness.


So there are six of my favorite things to do when I really don't want to study... hopefully I've pointed out a few ways to avoid temptation and ensure you spend the proper amount of time working. Now, read a few more blogs from the CW, and GET BACK TO WORK!

No comments: