Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Happy Better Relations Day!

Hello, Alabama! Happy Better Relations Day! You may have noticed the greeting to the Auburn visitors on campus in the Crimson White today. I don't know much about the whole "Better Relations Day" thing except that a small pep band played some cheers for the visitors in the stadium.

To me, a day of trying to improve relations between Alabama and Auburn is great in theory. And that's what it is... theory. How many of those people (AU and UA alike) walked away from today's festivities with any difference of opinion? My guess is that not many even cared. One of the students involved from Alabama even wanted the band to play Rammer Jammer. Suuuure. Nothing says "let's be friends" like yelling that we're going to beat the heck out of you in a week and a half.

The Auburn/Alabama rivalry is epic. Alabama has never beaten Auburn in Bryant-Denny! That's really depressing! I had no clue about that, to be honest. But that is why this rivalry is fun! We call them the "cow college," they call us whatever they call us, and it will probably never change. Giving the Auburn delegates orange University of Alabama folders (ew!) isn't going to smooth things over. I'd be interested to hear what the other activities included.

Honestly, I think today was for show. It's fun having this in-state rivalry. I love going back to my hometown in Alabama clothing and joking with my Auburn friends. I think it makes the football season even more interesting. Some fans take everything too seriously, and I hope that is something that will evolve and get better over time... but for now, I'm going to keep thinking that Alabama is superior and look forward to a big win over them in the Iron Bowl. Who's with me?

No comments: