Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Did You Watch? - House

Warning: Spoilers Ahead!!!

So last night, I was on the Internet and caught sight of what was "trending" on Twitter (in other words, what everyone was talking about at that moment). I saw one word. It was the name of a character on House. I was SO MAD at myself for clicking on the trend and seeing WHY so many people were talking about this character.

Honestly, I had heard that someone was going to die, and I had a sneaking suspicion that it was this particular character, but I wanted to watch to find out.

This morning, with the surprise completely ruined, I watched the episode and felt a little let down. The cast did a fantastic job, but I still felt confused about why the writers decided to kill off this particular character! The death had no meaning to me. It seemed very unnecessary, except that House continued to question himself. Fine, whatever. This character wasn't hurting the show, and in fact, their sense of humor helped keep things from being too morbid. If anything, I think there is a different character that is weighing down the show (hint: he quit in the episode before last but came back).

I hope this death stays present in the episodes to come, because I don't think the writers gave it enough weight. Even when Amber died I was sad to see her leave (if only for Wilson's sake). This character didn't really have any of those emotional ties, so I didn't truly feel for the characters that were left mourning.

For me, the jury is still out on this. Hopefully, we'll see more movement on this in the future.

1 comment:

KT12 said...

Having followed House since the very first episode, I will say that I cried like a newborn when Kutner killed himself. I agree with you about the person who quit and came back...ugh...I hate him! He is very sketchy if you ask me. Also, when Amber was killed off I felt so badly for Wilson. I did applaud his character for not really blaming House that much though. The writers orchestrated that pretty tastefully I think.
I did some research and found out that the beloved "Kutner" or "Kumar" (or however else anyone knows him) actually gave up acting alltogether to work for Obama's administration as an international affairs liason or something of the such! Incredible huh? I will miss him so much! I loved the episode with "death cat" where Kutner peed on House's chair and got House to think the cat did it! :) (love it!) I am so glad that in the age of trashy reality shows like "I Love Money" and "Flava of Love" we have at least a few shows like "House" left that maybe won't rot our brains completely...