Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Did You Watch?

Did you watch President Obama give his first speech before Congress this evening? I sure did. I was more impressed with our President tonight than I have ever been.

I consider myself a Republican (economically, anyway) and I was very impressed with the address. First, I don't remember him using the word "change" ambiguously. I think that was a very important step forward that he needed to make tonight. Also, I think his emphasis on education and health care really shows his long-term commitment to improving the economic problems.

President Obama made an effort to stress the severity of the problems we face as a nation before turning to the plans he has for the years ahead. Obama has a long road ahead of him, and I'm glad people are starting to realize that this financial downturn won't be fixed in his first 100 days.

A few points that I noted as I listened were:
  • President Obama emphasized that Americans invented the automobile and that we need to become more dominant in that area. He said the same for solar energy.
  • Families with an income of more than $250,000 may see increased taxes ahead, while 95% of working families will receive tax cuts.
  • By 2020, President Obama wants the United States to have the highest proportion of college graduates in the world.

It was clear that foreign policy was on the back burner during tonight's address. Though he mentioned education, jobs, health care, and the recession numerous times, he spoke only briefly about the war in Iraq. There is no doubt in my mind that this issue will come to the forefront again in the future.

Overall, I think President Obama did a fine job of reaching out to his country this evening. I truly look forward to seeing his programs in action.

No comments: