Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Advantages of Perfect Attendance

In high school, students with perfect attendance often receive certificates and praise. In college, however, attendance is often not recorded, and rarely rewarded in such a public, official way. There are, however, several perks that come to students who are vigilant with their attendance.

You Might Get Bonus Points
On especially beautiful days, or extremely stormy days, attendance is often low. Just today I went to one of my classes and more than half of the class had skipped. Luckily for me, the professor decided to reward the attendees with bonus points. We answered a very simple question and everyone present received credit. Those who didn't come will never see those points.

You'll Know Things
Today, along with the bonus points, our professor told us that we will be having a quiz on Tuesday. If, by some strange chance, the students who missed today show up then, they will probably not be prepared to do well on the quiz. There are some days when tests or deadlines are postponed, moved up, or cancelled. If you are in class, you'll probably hear it straight from your teacher's mouth. If not, you may be mad at yourself for pulling an all-nighter to finish the assignment that was changed and/or postponed.

You'll Absorb Information
When I take essay based tests, I will likely remember key concepts and examples that I heard in lecture, but the textual information often slips my mind more easily. I would not call myself an avid note-taker. I tend to write key points and skim the specifics. Mostly, though, I absorb the key points. I relate the notes that I do take to the anecdotes a professor tells or the interesting facts given so that I can draw on them during the test. Perhaps that is just the way my brain works, but it works nonetheless.

Pop Quiz!?
Maybe it is just me, but my teacher have really enjoyed giving out pop quizzes lately! The dreaded words that ultimately lead to a pop quiz freak me out. I start wondering if I read the information thoroughly enough. Even making a bad grade, though, will put more points toward my total than someone who misses the quiz.

Study Guides, Helpful Hints, and Friendly Faces
Another professor of mine gave us thorough study guides via eLearning before our test. Everything that was on the test was on the 3 pages of text that she posted to the web site. The day after the test, roughly 20 people came to class, and she decided to change her policy. People who attend class will receive the study guide via email, but the snoozers will be losers. This is just one example of the help that can be found by going to class. Teachers often hint at possible test questions as they lecture. This is invaluable! Also, by going to class, you may form bonds with fellow students and form a study group.

Almost as Good as Office Hours
If you haven't learned the secret yet, here it is: GO TO OFFICE HOURS! Professors have these hours for reasons, and if you don't go, they just sit in their offices grading. But, if you can't (or are too lazy) to make it to a teacher's office, try sticking around after a class! Ask some questions, introduce yourself, and be mindful that the professor probably has only a few precious moments.


My point, in case you haven't figured it out: Just go to class! The benefits far outweigh the extra 50-or-so minutes of sleep that you'll lose by going to one class.

No comments: